Yes, I said it, this is vegan! Also hands down the creamiest lasagna I have ever made, packed full of flavour, goodness and actually pretty easy to make. Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
Bechamel sauce ingredients:
- 1 pint of oat milk
- 70g vegan margerine
- 70g flour
- 1/2 white onion, quartered
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt and pepper
- Vegan cheese
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 4 chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 100g red split lentils
- 1 salad tomato, cut into 8
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Firstly you want to infuse the oat milk with your onion and spices. Put the milk, onion, nutmeg, salt and pepper into a sauce pan. Mix everything together and place on a very low heat for about 10 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t start to boil.
- Then start making the ragu. In a large pan add some olive oil and heat up. Chuck in your red onion and leave to sweat for a couple minutes. Add your garlic and a pinch of salt and continue to fry for another minute.
- Add all of your veggies and herbs and cook on a medium heat for five minutes.
- Add your lentils, stir well and leave for another 2 minutes.
- Add in your balsamic vinegar and tomato puree, mix well.
- Add in your chopped tomatoes. Fill the empty can with around 200ml cold water and add to the pan.
- Leave to simmer on low with a lid on for about 15 minutes or until reduced and thick.
- Now for the bechamel sauce, strain your infused oat milk in a large jug and then place the same pan on a low heat.
- Melt your vegan butter in the pan and then add in your flour. Mix well until it forms a paste.
- Slowly add in your milk and whisk continuously until it forms a creamy sauce. Add in a handful of vegan cheese if you want a cheesy sauce.
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 6. Get an oven dish and start layering your lasagna however you’d like. I did ragu, bechamel then lasagna sheets. Make sure bechamel sauce is the top layer, then add some more vegan cheese if you like a crispy topping.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for twenty minutes of until golden. Cut into squares and serve with vegan garlic bread and a little side salad.