Okay wow! I am so proud of this dish, full of so much flavour and goodness all in one bowl! Made up of broccoli, mushrooms, and butter beans.. anything that goes really well with cheese basically. Patience is key with risotto, let it simmer in the stock and stir to allow all those ingredients to marry together. Usually, butter is used at the end to make the risotto fully come together but I opted for some mascarpone which worked extremely well and gave a bit more creaminess to the sauce. I hope you love this one just as much as I do!
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 can of butter beans (drained and rinsed)
- 100g chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 150g small brocolli florets
- 1 garlic clove
- Half red onion (diced)
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 50g hard vegetarian cheese
- 1 tbsp mascarpone (you can also use butter)
- 200g risotto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large deep pan, drizzle some olive oil and place on a high heat for a couple minutes.
- Add your onion, garlic, mushrooms and broccoli into the pan and fry for around 10 minutes or until soft.
- Sprinkle over the ground ginger and stir well to cover everything, then add your white wine vinegar. Fry off until the vinegar has reduced down and soaked into your veg.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in your risotto rice and the butter beans and give it a good stir.
- Add in 200ml of the hot vegetable stock, stir and then place the lid on. Leave to simmer until the stock has nearly completely reduced down, then add in another 200ml. Repeat this process until you’ve used up all your stock or until the rice is al dente. (The best way to know risotto is nearly done is to taste it, the texture of the rice should be chalky and slightly firm.)
- When your risotto is done, turn the heat on low. Sprinkle in most of the vegetarian hard cheese, reserving some to serve with if you wish. Stir well until cheese has melted in.
- Turn the heat off completely and then stir in your mascarpone along with your salt and pepper. This will give your risotto a creamier texture to the sauce.
- Serve in big bowls and a sprinkle of more cheese!